Friday, July 27, 2012

THE KAISO SERIES PART 1: THE VALENTINE SURPRISE



When I was younger, I used to like surprises, but now, I am not so sure I do anymore, not after the surprise I got last valentine, Feb, 14, 2010.

………………………………………..
I woke up with so many expectations, having dreamt of every imaginable scintillating and head swooning surprise there was. I had told Bayo my boyfriend how much I liked surprises and he  promised to surprise me on Val’s day.
“Chukwukaiso Okeke, are you not going to church today?” my roommate Chioma asked, looking at me askance, I stared back at her obtuse as if I didn’t hear a word she said. She was all dressed up for church down to her head tie.
“Kaiso, are you not going to church?” she repeated. Yes, that’s my roommate Chioma, the mother hen, relentless, never one to let sleeping dog lie, let alone a poor sleeping girl like me (I expect a little sympathy at this point. Lol).
“I’ll go for evening mass”, I said, I just wanted her to leave me alone. I didn’t want to go to church, I wanted to condition my mind for the valentine flexing with Bayo. Chioma muttered something about leaving the key at the door when I want to go out and left. I didn’t hear her well as my mind was already busy picturing the surprise. Was it going to be a candle light dinner with Lionel Richie singing blues while I sip a French wine with Bayo? Or was he planning on sending me a pink pony with a box of chocolate tied in pink ribbon and a single red rose attached to it? Or will he get me a ticket for the Paris fashion week? Or will he…….?
My mind was working overtime, so I decided on a cold shower to snap me back to reality before I start imagining golden castles and me riding in a royal carriage alongside the queen of England, with Jay-Z as the coach man.
While I was in the shower, I wouldn’t help being puzzled at the injustice of the university system. I mean why should there be lectures on Feb 15? Is it fair? After gallivanting and having fun on the 14th, doesn’t one deserve a Val’s holiday, even if it is for just one month? Yeah, I know. I know I’m a lazy student ,even Bayo said so. Actually, the fact that I was dating Bayo is the Ninth wonder of the world because we have so little in common. The thing is, he is a bookworm, and me? Well I am a scientist trying to discover a way to get a degree without opening a page of my book.
I was still wondering what the heck I was doing date a bookworm when my phone rang. I dashed out of the bathroom to get the call. Speak of the devil!
“Hello, Bayo”, I spoke coolly trying to hide the excitement rushing through my vein like liquid flame.
“Sweetheart”, he said in that Bayo way, “happy Val”
“Happy Val, baby!”, I screeched, having thrown away my cool out through the open window.
……………………………………………..
Chioma came back by 1PM. After eating hungrily, she took her bath again. By 4PM, she was already dressed for a Valentine date. She was putting on a lovely red short evening dress. She looked beautiful, I wondered who she was dressing up for, I thought she broke up with her boyfriend last month.
I didn’t want to ask her but she kept on smiling conspiratorially, I couldn’t help myself.
“Chioma, who is the new guy?” I asked. She smiled in that annoying I – thought –you – would – never – ask manner, which always pissed me off. Well, this time, I was too curious to care.
“It’s Christian, I saw him in church today and we made up again”.
“Oh”, I said rolling my eyes.
Chioma’s  phone rang.
“It’s him, he’s here”, she said and smiled again then dashed out on her silver high – heeled sandals.
……………………………………………..
I was already dressed in my mono strap red mini dress with gold details. I glanced at my wristwatch; it screamed 7:30PM. Bayo was supposed to come and pick me by 7PM, it was 7:30PM and he was nowhere to be found. I tried calling him, but his number wasn’t connecting. I was getting really anxious, my stomach tied in a knot as my heartbeats turned into heart bangs. I was already beginning to imagine the worse when I heard the doorbell.
I rushed to the door and opened it, and there stood Bayo, half wet from the rain. I would have pounced on him like an angry mob it not for the wrapped gift and flowers he held on his hands.
“I’m sorry I kept you waiting, I was caught in the traffic and I couldn’t call because my battery died’. I didn’t say a word. I just stood there looking at him.
“I’m sorry, Ok? Please. I got you a surprise gift”, he said with an unsure smile.
“Come in”, I said.
He came in and sat down after I did. “Happy Val, sweetheart”, he said handling me the wrapped gift. I smiled, regaining my excitement. I love surprises! Before I had a chance to open the gift, Chioma barged in, looking so excited.
“Hi Bayo! Kaiso! See the Valentine gift Christian got for me”, she said bringing out a pair of red Jimmy Chow stilettos, and a French wine!
“Wow! Chioma, I’m so happy for you!” I said and proudly brought out my own wrapped gift.
I was so sure Bayo wrapped up Jimmy Chow himself as my Val gift. I trust him, he never ceases to surprise me, I thought, smiling lovingly at Bayo who wore an uneasy look on his face.
“See the one Bayo got for me”, I proudly announced.
“Lemme see!”, Chioma said, as she dived at it and tore the wrapper open to reveal the gift.
I couldn’t believe my eyes, and neither could Chioma as her jaw dropped in surprise. How could Bayo do this to me? I thought.
“PAST QUESTIONS COMPILATION AND SOLUTION SET IN STAT 204?!” I and Chioma screamed at the same time!
“Surprise!” Bayo exclaimed with a silly smirk on his face.
ILOANUSI SOROCHI .H.

2 comments:

  1. Kaiso is a lively, funny and optimistic young lady. as she tells her story, her lively nature will easily be seen. enjoy.

    ReplyDelete